[Dixielandjazz] No Rhythm Wank Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 14:04:48 PST 2007

Hmmmm . . . seems as if the rhythm section guys dislike wank music.

Actually, we use those little devices all the time to break up the formulaic
presentation of Dixieland. Like:

1) No rhythm chorus.

2) One horn and Bass only chorus

3) One horn and guitar only chorus.

4) Rhythm section only chorus.

5) Two horn no rhythm chorus. (Omer Simeon and Wilbur DeParis were masters
of this at Jimmy Ryan's back in NYC in the 1950s with Simeon in low register
and DeParis punching out low register figures also)

6) One soft, one loud chorus.

7) Reverse above

8) Start the 1st out chorus with one horn + rhythm, then add another horn
after 8 bars, then add another horn after 8 bars.

9) During horn solo, no rhythm on bridge, then come back in.

10) Reverse the normal solo order.

11) Vary the beat behind solos. Like 8 bards of upbeat only, or play only
beats 2 & 3. etc.

12) Riff Chorus with drum breaks.

13) +++++ ETC.

Mostly unscripted . . . deciding on the spur of the moment when to add one
of the above in.

As we all say, the crowd loves it. And in our band the rhythm section loves
it as they get a break from continuous playing. And we horny guys love it
too because we get a chance to collectively improvise without a piano
banging away, or a guitar playing loudly, or the drummer adding fills where
none fit. <grin>

IMO, if we don't add these devices, the music gets boring to the younger
audiences we court. It become formulaic when they want to hear something
different. For us in the band it also gets boring if we don't change things
around during the performance.

Older audiences may well expect to hear the same thing, over and over, like
do it like Oliver did it, or like Berrigan, but not the young. They want
excitement and do not relate to Oliver or Berrigan et al.

What's not to like?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone