[Dixielandjazz] Lily of the valley

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 8 05:08:02 PST 2007

Hello Ingemar

I'm not too familiar with "Lily of the valley" but it's possible that it
is an example of a gospel tune that was taken-up by jazz bands
comparatively late in its life. Like "When the saints .."

A quick browse through some discographies yields the following recordings:

NYC, 8 June 1917 (with composer credit Gilbert - Friedland)
Collins and Harlan	Columbia A-2296

NYC, mid 1917	Collins and Harlan	Brunswick 5105

NYC, 10 July 1917 (with composer credit Gilbert - Friedland)
Prince's Band		Columbia A-2327

Atlanta, Ga, 21 April 1926 (with composer credit Hauks)
Jack Pickell and Forest Traylor		Columbia 15603-D

Ashland, Ky, 12 February 1928	JL McGhee & Frank Welling
Vocalion 5251

Charlotte, NC, 6 June 1938 (with sub title "I want you to move")
Spartanburg Famous Four		Decca 7543

NYC, June-August 1943  Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet	Thesaurus 1158

I've heard none of these and it's possible that they are not all the
same tune.

All the best,
Anton