[Dixielandjazz] Dioxieland Jazz Stylistic differences--concisely

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 18:20:06 PST 2007

> Steve Hoog eupher dude <eupher61 at hotmail.com> asks

> Attention all OKOM freaks, geeks, snobs, and anyone else willing to chime
> in...
>
> What are some brief, but nearly fully accurate, descriptions of New Orleans vs
> Chicago vs New York, and any others that may be relevant, styles of OKOM?  I
> don't want to get into post-1930 discussions at this point.
>
> And, how about a description of Whiteman and Goldkette et al, vs say the
> Ellington "Jungle" sound of the very late 20s?
>
> I know, this is opening up a Pandora's box, but I'm bored... ;)
>
> steve "and I was asked the question, too" hoog

Dear Steve:

We've been over it a few times on the DJML. With much disagreement about
details, how many styles there are, whether or not we need to know the
differences etc. There are many opinions pro and con.

Be that as it may, the best descriptions that I have seen about stylistic
differences of Dixieland/Trad/OKOM/Swing/ etc., are to be found at the
PRJC/TJEN web site shown below.

The "Style Guide" therein is by Dave Robinson of the Traditi0onal Jazz
Educators Network (TJEN). Dave (Scott's brother) also mentors the Capitol
Focus Youth Jazz Band, plays great brass, is very knowledgeable etc., and is
a genuine nice guy.

IMO the information is quite useful for background when discussing these
differences with folks who ask what those differences are. See:

http://www.prjc.org/tjen/styleguide.htm

Cheers,
Steve Barbone