[Dixielandjazz] Contact wanted

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 2 16:04:49 PST 2007

My mate Brian Harvey posted the following reply from a record company
to his request for review copies of jazz CDs for his radio program.

> "It is not the policy of Raymer Sound to send copies of CDs for review
> or
> promotion on any large scale.  In our experience, bands usually know
> who
> they wish to receive complimentary copies and the most effective ways
> of
> promoting themselves.  We do all we can to keep costs as low as
> possible so
> that our customers have the best possible price.  Indeed we have come
> across
> bands who positively do not wish their CDs to be sent for review - even
> though they are good bands!!  We do mention your show to bands so they
> may
> well send you a CD.

Dear Brian,
I can understand your disappointment with that reply, but can also
appreciate Raymer's point of view.
I was a jazz radio presenter for 24 years, have produced a few jazz
records and have had a long working association with Swaggie Records.
I also have a few jazz mates who have recorded and marketed their band
CD and needed help in pushing it on radio.
Unfortunately, there are some  jazz presenters who have 'collection
mania' (no, not you mate) and must have everything recorded locally, or
in a particular field. I am referring to current stuff, not reissues of
classic jazz material.
These 'collectors' always solicit CDs, play them at home (probably
once), then pop it into the collection. "Yep got that."
Others I know regularly on-sold stuff they didn't like or want.
In nearly all cases the records never received airtime on their program.
I know who they are and steer my mates away from them.
As a result I was able to compile a list of reliable broadcasters who
would always do the right thing.
Even at cost plus packing and postage wasted freebies increase the
project budget and eat away the profits (if any).
So far as Raymer is concerned, I don't know how big they are, although
it does not really matter. Most (and this certainly applies to the big
boys) record producers do not give out freebies. They usually allocate
an agreed number of comps to the artist(s), and leave distribution the
him/them.
When I was broadcasting, I actually preferred not to receive free
LPs/CDs, as I then felt obliged to play stuff either outside the scope
of my program or which was just awful musically.
As a record producer, I always selected carefully who would get a comp,
in the confident knowledge that it would be appreciated and used.
Kind regards,
Bill.