[Dixielandjazz] Why do people love bad art?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Aug 31 17:30:59 PDT 2007

Bob [Elliott] & Ray [Goulding] were two of the most outstanding, if
maybe a bit strange, radio & TV comedians of the mid 20th century in
the USA - even though a few others  of our comedians may have had
bigger name recognition...  maybe they did not translate well to the
Brit/Oz/Com side of humour, but I see their subtle influence on the
whole Beyond the Fringe/Monty Python thing.

https://www.bobandray.com
> ABOUT BOB & RAY
>
> "Bob & Ray invented, dreamed up the lines for, and then played,
> mainly on radio and television, a surrealistic Dickensian repertory
> company, which chastens the fools of the world with hyperbole,
> slapstick, parody, verbal nonsense, non sequitur, and sheer wit,
> all of it clean, subtle and gentle... Bob & Ray's humor turns on
> their faultless timing and on their infinite sense of the
> ridiculous. It is also framed by that special sly, dry, wasteless
> vision of life perfected during the last couple of centuries by
> middle-class New Englanders..."
>
> -- Whitney Balliett, writing in The New Yorker.

as for Sam Ulano:

http://www.samulano.com/html/bio.html

On topic? well... I think so! ;-) I played Bob & Ray on my radio show
many times.

Dave Richoux