[Dixielandjazz] Why do people love bad art?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 27 07:35:46 PDT 2007

Folks--
     Hummpf!  An upstart latter-day laggard, pretender to the Wurst
Band's throne of incompetence!
     We of the Wurst Band have been plowing this uncertain field since
i joined it in 1979, and its unnamed brethren were doing it far
before that date at Scholz's Garten in Austin, Texas.  And i know
Brother Richoux and others on this fine List have also been playing
for years -- nay, decades -- in similar semi-musical clottings around
the country.
     Here's the blurb i sent out last May to announce our new season:
---------------
Lovers of fine music--
     Please delete this message now, and then go wash your hands,
tongue, and brain with strong soap.

Fans of and players in The Wurst Band--
     Greetings.  I figured that would strain the unbelievers out.
     It's that time again.  For the players, dust off that old
clarinet, shake the succotash out of that saxophone, and run a
garden-hose's water at approximately 153 ft-lbs/sec through that old
sousaphone (so _that's_ where the dog was sick!), and bring it, a
music stand, and your somewhat disreputable self down to Scholz's on
Thursday, May 3rd, a skosh before 8 pm (Marty and Darlene, you know
to do your own thing here).
     For you benighted tone-deaf individuals in the audience, we love
you.  Who else is willing to sit through two hours of unbridled
cacophony disguised as polka and march music?  You may want to invest
in another bale or two of cotton (your ears, you know), a fresh stack
of Depends (don't ask, unless you're an astronaut), and a heightened
level of musical sophistication that would gag a goat (sorry, you
goats out there in Eldorado).
     Unless you've been living under a rock in Wabuska, Nevada, for
the past 29 years, you know that The Wurst Band plays every Thursday
from 8 to 10 pm in May, June, and September at Scholz Bier Garten
(1607 San Jacinto; see http://www.scholzgarten.net/Page7.html).
     While 'play' might be a bit too ameliorative (think the opposite
of 'pejorative' for you folks who made less than 800 on your SAT) a
term for what we do to melody, harmony, and rhythm, the music we do
it to isn't all that great anyway.  I mean, the first set of German
polkas, waltzes, and so forth should remind the careful listener of
their childhood in Cleveland and a visit by the Guckenheimer Sour
Kraut Band (who immediately became the _best_ band in Cleveland).
This aural onslaught is, after all, why Germans drink so much beer
(it dulls the senses and glosses over the trombones playing a
different song, the drummers rushing the tempo, and the trumpets
fighting among themselves to play 3rd).  The second set devolves to a
gallimaufry of Sousa marches (sorry, J. P.), Broadway show-tunes (in
shows that closed after one night), 'popular' songs of the 1950s
(yeah, among ax-murderers and dyspeptic sea-captains), and bad
arrangements of "New York, New York" (love that last high Ab in the
trumpets).  The furious pace of the first two sets, coupled with the
band's consumption of beer between and during the sets, explains the
nature of the third set, in which the band plays the shortest tunes
that can be found, to a rapidly dwindling number of listeners in the
audience.  However, we console ourselves with the old Limeliters
line, "Yes, i _know_ they liked us: they rarely left in _groups_."
     So there you have it.  Come down to Scholz's on May 3 at 8 pm and
partake in yet another season of the finest music this side (the
bottom side, unfortunately) of Uncle Al's Septic Tankers and Musical
Gurglers.

     Dan Augustine (Master Gurgler since 1979)
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "A vile beastly rottenheaded foolbegotten brazenthroated
**      pernicious piggish screaming, tearing, roaring, perplexing,
**      splitmecrackle crashmecriggle insane ass of a woman is
**      practicing howling below-stairs with a brute of a singing
**      master so horribly that my head is nearly off."
**        -- Edward Lear (1812-1888), letter to Lady Strachey, 1859

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**             "O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet."
**                     -- St. Augustine (354-430)