[Dixielandjazz] More On "In The Mood" and Miller

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 31 15:42:34 PDT 2007

Robert S. Ringwald wrote [off list so as to kindly not embarrass me]:
> Bill,
> Down the list a ways you have Joe Garlin as composer for ITM.
> Then you have Ed Garlin.

Thanks for the correction Bob.
Joe Garland was the composer. Spelt with an 'a n d' not an 'i n'
He was a reedman, arranger and occasional composer ["Harlem After
Midnight", "There's Rhythm In Harlem", "Congo Caravan", "Leaf Frog"]
who worked with Elmer Snowden and Leon Abbey (1920s); Mills Blue Rhythm
Band, Edgar Hayes and Don Redman (1930s); Louis Armstrong (1939-47);
Herbie Fields, Claude Hopkins and Earl Hines (1940s), then freelance.
Ed Garland was Kid Ory's string bass player, on and off, from 1910 to
1955.
As you know, I am an old jazz mouldy, so I'm sure that you will
understand my Freudian slip.
I have copied this to the list, as others may also have been confused
by my carelessness.
Kind regards,
Bill.