[Dixielandjazz] FW: Kids & OKOM

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Aug 31 06:32:24 PDT 2007

Jack Thomas wrote:
>Well, the kids all said it was the best wedding reception ever,

We get our fair share of weddings, but always guide the person who calls us
towards our band playing as the guests arrive at the reception/dinner after
the church.  We finish when the guest sit down for their dinner.  They
normally have a dj for the dance party afterward.

We don't like playing the after-dinner party so much as we have found the
cocktail time so much more appropriate.  That may not be so in other
cultures, but it works best for where we work.  Besides, we get away in the
early evening instead of the early morning.   :>

Dixieland is great for that moment, and guests quite often dance, especially
to any Charleston beat or Glenn Miller tunes.  At a recent wedding reception
we found out the bride was called Ramona (an English girl marrying a Spanish
fellow).  We naturally played that tune which went over in a big way.
Multicolored vests & bow ties make the band look smart & help makes us stand
out from the surroundings.

One setting we play at several times a year has the band set up alongside a
lake, while the guests have their drinks on the grass near the ruins of a
convent where the dinner tables are laid out amongst the fallen stones.
Storks sit high above on the bits of the church that has not fallen.  Stuff
for movies....

Jim (even storks seem to enjoy Dixieland) Kash