[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Types

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 02:01:32 PDT 2007

Listmates,
  Night before last at an inn atop Mt Riggi in Switzerland, I was asked to play an alpenhorn, a ten-foot tube, made of wicker I think, with a 10-inch bell and a trombone mouthpiece.  Because of the latter, I did pretty well.  Then, I was asked to play the trombone to the accompaniment of an accordion.  Thinking it would be a reasonble selection under the circumstances, I  suggested Wonderful World in F.  Well, it seems the accordionist not only didn't know the tune, he didn't play in F.  I fought through it, blaming the accordionist in my mind.  But on reflection I thought that perhaps the trombone which appeared to be a tenor in C, could have been one in another key.  Any thoughts?
  Regards,
  Pat