[Dixielandjazz] Bass cano

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Aug 28 01:00:05 PDT 2007

Anton (and all)

I cannot at this point take everything my acquaintance in Colma said
as 100% gospel. We are both members of a California Historical
Drinking Fraternal organization (or is it a Drinking Historical
California Fraternal organization?) known as E Clampus Vitas. There
have been some real whopping fibs told by members of that
organization - it is part of the grand and noble tradition of the group.

However, I do think he may have seen something at some point that may
actually be a "Bass Cano," or "Bass Can" - maybe at that museum. When
I went to the Met last Spring I had a long talk with the department
head and also talked with a noted musicologist from Boston who was
doing some work there. Neither of them remembered any sort of similar
instrument in the permanent collection. There was a temporary exhibit
of monochord instruments a few years back at the Met - maybe my ECV
friend saw it then?

anyway...
Dave Richoux