[Dixielandjazz] Bass cano

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 27 23:44:57 PDT 2007

Hello all

The post that Bill Haesler remembers, and is probably "locked" in his
Mac, came from Dave Richoux in 2004. It is (in part):

From: david richoux <tubaman at batnet.com>

I was just at an mid-day gig  in the town of Colma (just south of San
Francisco) at an annual event celebrating the life of Joshua Norton
(Emperor Norton the First) ( go to
<http://www.discordia.org/~keeper/norton.html> or several other
websites for more on that.. an interesting story!)

anyway, one of the people who was there is an expert in early Western
Swing, Jug Bands and "Hill Billy Music" so I asked him if he knew what
a "Bass Cano" is or was.

Not only did he know - he actually SAW one at  The Metropolitan Museum
of Art a few years ago! He said it was a one string instrument about 5
or 6 feet long - basically a big stick of wood with a very simple
tuning peg at each end of the string. It was not displayed well and was
there not much of a descriptive explanation but it was called a Bass
Cano. He remembered it because he asked a curator about the instrument
and they did not have any ready information.

I just went to the Met website to have a look
<http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/department.asp?dep=18>  - it is
not shown but there are a lot of very interesting instruments shown at
that site.<

All the best,
Anton