[Dixielandjazz] Empire City Six

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 27 20:55:47 PDT 2007

In the dim recesses of my memory, I kind of think the Empire City Six was a
band fronted by Phil Napoleon. Can't prove it and not sure, but I think it
included Davern and Igoe. So maybe the trumpet and drums were Napoleon and
Igoe under pseudonyms when they recorded because of "exclusive" contractual
relationships with other record companies. Common in those days. (circa
1950s for Napoleon & Igoe, before that for many others)

For fun lists of jazz musician pseudonyms see:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/fitzgera/pseudo.htm

Note that our esteemed listmate, Don Ingle contributed to it.

Or see: (similar list but with an explanation of why they were used.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=1405

Cheers,
Steve Barbone