[Dixielandjazz] Why do people love bad art?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Aug 27 14:29:10 PDT 2007

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some years ago I was at Whiteman AFB touring the central Missouri area and
we had occasion to take in one of the small town muny bands.  The evening
was pleasant, the crowd was having a good time and the concert was very well
attended.  The band was about 30 pcs and somewhat balanced.  Their program
was the standard sort, a few marches an overture and some show tunes.
Nothing heavy.  I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

The only thing I did wrong that night is tape the concert.  The tape was put
in the standard place to lose tapes and I didn't listen to it for several
months.  I popped in this mystery tape and there was the summer concert I
had enjoyed so much.

First the Cicadas were (That's a very large, loud bug to those of you who
aren't from here) screaming their little wings off and the band was somewhat
out of tune and people were talking.  The short of it was how could I have
enjoyed that concert?  What I heard on the tape was terrible.

It was instructive and a good lesson in what we want to hear.  We tune out
the bugs and minor annoyances and if the ambiance is good and we are in a
good mood then our ears sometimes hear something else. We hear past the
immediate but the tape recorder can't be fooled.

Beauty changes depending on how many beers you have had too.
Larry
StL