[Dixielandjazz] Why do people love bad art?

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Mon Aug 27 13:24:49 PDT 2007

Dear list mates,

A provocative thread! Steve's post, along with the success of the Really
Terrible Orchestra have stimulated some thoughts:

HUMOR SELLS
Imagine telling your friends that you were going to see the Really Terrible
Orchestra. So daring, surprising, funny -- what a conversation starter! Your
friends might laugh, and then buy tickets to join you in anticipation of
more levity and laughter (which God knows we all need more of).
The fact that these musicians are successful in other areas makes it okay to
laugh at them rather than pity them.

<< Children would raise the standard, but we don't let them
in for that reason. It would be too embarrassing. >>

PUBLICITY SELLS
The media loves anything with shock value, especially if it is humorous. It
grabs attention! They will spotlight the Really Terrible Orchestra just to
draw attention to themselves, thereby giving added publicity to the
orchestra, which increases their notoriety and sales.

THE UNDERDOG SELLS
People love bungling characters like Inspector Clouseau, Mr. Magoo or Homer
Simpson because they make us feel better about ourselves. We expect little
from them, and if you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed.

<< There's always thunderous applause, especially if we've got lost
in something and ground to a halt. Always a standing ovation. >>

AUTHENTICITY SELLS
If they dare to be authentic, so can we. That is liberating.
Socrates said, "Know thyself." These musicians know who and what they are
and don't pretend to be anything else. We can respect the honesty and
humility, and appreciate that they don't take themselves too seriously.
(Margaret Fontey said, "The one important thing I have learned over the
years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's
self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous.")

<< liberation: the anarchic pleasure of disorder, the repudiation of
established rules of judgment. Bad art is an invitation to escape the formal
boundaries of adulthood and be a child, delighting in the rude and raw. >>

During the seven years that I volunteered as an art docent in grade schools,
I used to tell them, "There's no mistakes in art." I said this to remove
fear of expectation and to encourage freedom of expression. That's well and
good if it's a hobby, but if one wishes to make a career out of art, they is
much to consider regarding sales and marketability.

Sadly, the very best artists and musicians go largely unappreciated because
they have reached a level of achievement where the average person cannot
differentiate "good" from "great." It takes one to know one. That's why I
always seek out those who would be called "a musicians' musician."

Love and hugs,
Nancy