[Dixielandjazz] It's like Dixieland

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 24 20:25:30 PDT 2007

Here's what Oteil Burbridge (Bass Player with Allman Brothers Band) had to
say recently about Jam Band music in the Rock genre. From a Jambands.com
interview:

"I always think about it like Dixieland jazz. You could have seven or eight
guys all soloing at the same time. It¹s not really that big a deal. (laughs)
Because I grew up hearing jazz, and hearing Dixieland music that¹s just how
I tend to think of it. I don¹t really think of it as something you have to
adjust for. I mean, really, if you¹re listening, none of things should be a
big deal‹just listen."

The long career of Oteil Burbridge extends from Washington, D.C to Atlanta
to Birmingham, Alabama while playing in some of the greatest jambands in
music history. His bass playing, whether it be with the six string or the
Fender 4-string he utilizes with the Allman Brothers Band, has set new
standards in a genre which continually challenges musicians to create new
sounds within an old framework, the live stage. Burbridge has had a busy
summer. Prior to the Allman dates, he toured for two months with his band
the Peacemakers, also dates with another legendary jam gem‹Hot Tuna.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone