[Dixielandjazz] More On "In The Mood" and Miller

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 23 21:09:19 PDT 2007

As you know, Zeke Zarchy 92, is about the last living original member of the
Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band.

I asked him about the "In The Mood" sax solos on the recording and if after
that time, the solos were played the same way for live performances.  Below
is his answer:

(snip)
Hi Bob

the saxes  usually--played the same solos. The
audiences expected that and sang along - with the band
most of the time.

Clyde Hurley  played the original solo . Tex Beneke
and A L  Klink
played the two tenor sax parts .  Yes, they played
the parts like the records .  I hope that answers
your Questions
Best. Zeke
 (snip)

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV