[Dixielandjazz] (Fwd) Re: [RedHotJazz] Trad jazz today

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 22:13:54 PDT 2007

> "Trad jazz" is still very much alive in England today, albeit mostly
> with aging musicians and an aging public.

Thanks for your thoughtful note to DJML

I selected this sentence, because it's true everywhere.

My son and his new wife throw a big party around the 4th of July, and they asked me to play
during mealtime (rock groups played before, and after, me).

I played 20s, 30s, some 40s tunes on the piano (keyboard), and many (I mean MANY!) kids
came up to me while playing and made signs that indicated that they LIKED it.

I have to believe that one reason thay did is because thay NEVER (or seldom) heard this
stuff before.

Gotta get this stuff out in front of them!

I think I'm an OKOM fan because, back in the 40s, DJs played enough of the old stuff on the
radio to get us to explore further.

Won't happen today, in part from today's DJs unwillingness to go back.

Larry Swain