[Dixielandjazz] The Death of Dixieland

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 21:30:25 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:

    The death of Dixieland in the USA will become a self
    fulfilling prophesy if bands and articles like this continue
    to improperly define it. <grin>

    <http://www.lakesunleader.com/articles/2007/08/17/entertainmen
    t/02.txt>

I can only agree with you, Steve.  Born in the 1930s? COME ON!

We have a number of really good trad bands in the Boston area (I am fortunate to substitute
for pianerr players in a few when they need a sub), and the venues where we/they perform
are shrinking, dramatically, not growing.  Promotion is poor or non-existent, even though the
demographic of fans (old farts like me) is strong, and few venues are trying, or have the
opportunity to try, to expose younger folks to the music we love. This latter point is much
more important than I think most (not including Steve, by any means, who gets it, and is
doing something about it) are aware of.

I played (solo) at a big July 4th party on Cape Cod thrown by my son, at his request --
keyboard and amp.  I did older standards, countless (I've never counted) that I know without
lead sheets, and can do without much effort, and got what I believe were genuine thumbs-
ups from many younger folks who approached the stage where I was playing, in full view of
other guests, one at a time, and told me they liked what I was doing.  I have to believe, given
today's media, that many of them had never listened to the kind/style of what I was doing,
before, or had the opportunity to listen, given their exposure to the media they frequent,
which defintitely does not play stuff like what I was doing.  And they liked it!

I'll be moving, year-'round, to Cape Cod (MA) sometime in the next year or so.  It's a Mecca
for retirees (i.e., old farts like me,) most of whom would gladly pay a few bucks to hear
OKOM bands.  Yet there are, to my knowledge (and I've looked, and joined the Cape Cod
Jazz Society to help) precisely NO venues who would host some of the best Boston-area
bands, at ANY TIME OF THE YEAR, on the entire Cape.

OKOM is a treasure for me and for many.  When younger folks get to hear it, many love it the
moment they hear it (when I was a younger kid, so long ago, I know that I did).  But there are
so few places here in Eastern Massachusetts today where they can hear it, and few
promotions aimed effectively at young people to get then there so they can -- not many for
old folks, either.

I'll be going to a Cape Cod Jazz Society member meeting in 8/26 (they say it's crucial to the
ongoing success of the Society), where I would like to get folks thinking about getting OKOM
out front on the Cape.

Anyone got any suggestions for what I can do/say there to help us expand our number of
venues and make fans aware of who we (OKOMers) are and what we do?

This is very important to me,  and your ideas are welcomed!

Larry Swain
(Backup piano-[;ayer of last resort, Noston area)