[Dixielandjazz] Davern, Peplowski CD - "Dialogues"

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 18 14:05:16 PDT 2007

What an great CD IMO. The last recording for Arbors that Kenny Davern did,
and the last recording that Tony DeNicola made.

Personnel are:

Kenny Davern  - Clarinet
Ken Peplowski - Clarinet & Tenor Sax
Tony DeNicola - Drums
Nicki Parrott - Double Bass
Howard Alden  - Guitar & Banjo
James Chirillo- Guitar & Banjo

Not Dixieland, per se, but as Dan Morgenstern wrote; "This Davern-Peplowski
summit meeting features two of jazz'z finest reedmen in a series of musical
dialogues, joined in their conversation by the strings of Howard Alden and
James Chirillo. MAKING OLD SONGS SOUND FRESH AND NEW IS AN ART AT WHICH THEY
EXCEL, (emphasis mine) featuring easy swing, with contrapuntal interplay."

Reedmen on the list will surely want to posses this one.

IMO, a great CD. Of special interest, given a recent thread, is "High
Society" which prior to the two clarinet harmony on their own version of
Picou, features Alden and Chirillo on banjos with some stunning interplay. A
fresh approach indeed.

The day before Kenny died, he dedicated the album to Tony DeNicola as
follows: "This album is dedicated to Tony DeNicola, 1927-2006. I lost a very
close friend and a great drummer in Tony. We all loved you." - Kenny

Mat Domber and Dan Morgenstern added: : "in Kenny's passing, we lost another
great friend, one who was unique, and one of the greatest clarinetists in
the history of jazz. He was truly one of a kind, nor only as a player but
also as a person, and will never be replaced. We all loved you, Kenny."

Rip Kenny and Tony. We did indeed all love you.

"Dialogues" Arbors ARCD 19317 $17 postpaid.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone