[Dixielandjazz] Doreen Kitchens in Maine

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Sat Aug 18 10:19:07 PDT 2007

I am having some continuing difficulty submitting things to the List, so
please pardon if this shows up twice....  I joined the list the other day
under another email address to see if I could ³break through² but just
unsubscribed after I started getting double digests.

Oddly enough, I encountered Doreen and her Sousaphone-playing husband
Lawrence busking in Portland, Maine, maybe 3-4 years ago, and have digital
pictures of them playing with a banjo player who another OKOMer later told
me was a Yalie who lives in Maine and had hung out in New Orleans in the
OKOM scene earlier in life.  Doreen and Lawrence are both great players and
I was as in awe of their stamina as their chops. It was an unseasonably cold
day and they kept it up for probably 8 hours or more. I hope they were
taking some decent money...I did my best to appreciate them and also bought
one of their CDs.

David Dustin