[Dixielandjazz] Unknown lady clarinet player on the streets ofNew Orleans

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 18 02:30:03 PDT 2007

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:
> If a post is from a non-member, it gets held until the DJML Asst.
> moderator
> looks at it and either kills it or lets it get posted.
> Perhaps that is what happened to your message.
> I cannot look up Marcel by his name.  Please give me his e-mail
> address and
> I'll check to see if he is a member.
> Sometimes people subscribe to DJML using one address and then try to
> post
> using a different address.  That just don't work.

Dear Bob,
My comment was not meant as a criticism of the DJML, as I suspect my
own ISP here in Oz is a bit tardy of late.
I had always assumed that Marcel Joly was a DJML lurker, as he has
previously provided information to the list.
For those who do not know him, Marcel Joly is a young bloke (well a bit
younger than me) from Belgium.
He is an expert on the New Orleans jazz revival, is a longtime
contributor to the jazz magazines 'Footnote' and 'New Orleans Music'
and provided a the entries on quite a few New Orleans jazz musicians
for 'The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz'. He is also an Honorary citizen
on New Orleans. There is lots more in that fine set of books 'The Song
For Me'.
"He's A Good Man To Have Around", as the song says.
Marcel's email address is:
<marcel.joly at telenet.be>
Kind regards,
Bill.