[Dixielandjazz] RadioOKOM.

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Fri Aug 17 12:14:44 PDT 2007

As a regular listener to OKOM.com, I just had it on and the regular
"host" Bruce McNichols, who had a couple of guests on with him, stated
that it was April 2003.

I believe this phenomenon is probably unique to OKOM.com (aka Radio
OKOM), as they are NOT a commercial "on the air" radio station, but are
strictly on the internet. They are based in Northern New Jersey. They
have over the past several years (as early as 2002) recorded a series of
half hour segments of playing music interspersed with comments, and
discussions with a variety of "in studio" guests.  They then have a
computer set-up that more or less randomly plays these segments 24/7 as
streaming audio over their web site.  Thus there is no on the air delay
etc.

I have discussed this phenomenon with Bruce McNichols and others, and am
told that there are fairly recent segments being played, but apparently
I have never happened to be connected when they are being played.  They
"broadcast" 24/7 and I average maybe 2 or 3 hours connected in a 24 hour
period.  I have heard a few segments identified as occurring in 2006.
Except for the occasional discussion of current (or not so current)
concerts, festivals etc, it makes little difference to me, most of the
music played are old recordings or contemporary circa 2003 or 04.  It is
a little disconcerting to hear a person discussed as currently playing
when I know they have since died.

There is also an associated mailing list, Tradjazz.com
(tradjazz at list.okom.com) of which several of our DJML listmates are also
subscribers.

I think I have it correct, if not Bruce can set me straight.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA