[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse Five+2--Everyobody Loves My Baby

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 10:12:44 PDT 2007

What made them special to me was the band's energy and intensity,  especially
from Ward Kimball. Growing up in Southern California, I got to see  them in
person many times. When they would walk on a stage or walk over to play  at the
ticket plaza at Disneyland, everybody in the area focused on the band  before
the first note was ever played. This is charisma or star quality. Some  well
known politicians and entertainers also have this quality. Another unique
feature of that group was the out chorus after the solos: very intense and
focused followed my another out chorus that was even more focused and intense
followed by their 4 bar endings that was so energetic, you wanted to explode!  The
last time I saw them was at an amphitheater concert in Hollywood in 1971.
Kimball had a case of potty mouth that day; nobody in the audience cared. We
were dancing on our seats and in the aisles. Their act was a lot of fun, but
their energy is what kept us pumped up on the way home from seeing them.

Tom Loeb
_www.hotsytotsyboys.com_ (http://www.hotsytotsyboys.com)