[Dixielandjazz] Bix and Wild Bill

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:05:49 PDT 2007

Great album, Bixieland, even if I am not too crazy about Chivas (its
presence in the studio is mentioned in Condon's notes to the original
album).  However, neither Hackett not WBD sound like Bix, which is as
it should be - tribute, not cloning.
The third one must be Braff, although whoever said that might have
meant Hackett.
An remember that line from "The Five Pennies:" "There was Louis, there
was Bix, and there was me!" (Bix might have been first in that
sentence and Louis second - I'm quoting from memory).
As for me, I know who was the best trumpet/cornet player, the best
soprano sax player and the best alto player, although tha latter
instrument is subject to dispute).  No idea who was "best" on other
instruments, even if I have my favourites.
Cheers