[Dixielandjazz] Jazz palling on repetition? (was "Brubeck")

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Wed Aug 15 08:09:42 PDT 2007

I disagree that real jazz palls on repeated listening. The first jazz record
that I bought was Jelly Roll Morton's "Doctor Jazz", almost exactly 60 years
ago. Over the next few years I acquired more Jelly Roll Morton, King
Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, Louis' Hot 5's and Hot 7's, and a miscellany of
other 1920's jazz.
These are still my favourite records, and I listen to them on a regular
basis. I think I enjoy them more now than I did 50 and 60 years ago.

The originals were all 78's, and they are now on LP or CD. I still have the
78's, and the equipment to play them. As a backup 30 years ago I transferred
all the 78's to reel-to-reel tape, and subsequently to CD's. Just
occasionally I put one of the 78's on the player, just to have a nostalgic
moment. There's something about handling a 78, that the convenience of CD's
can never replace.

Cheers

Bob Smith