[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:32:17 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I think this is the old semantics argument.  If one thinks of the word
"jazz" as only applying to pre-Be-Bop styles, then Brubeck wouldn't fall
into that category.  However, I think that very few people apply the term
that narrowly (at least since the days of the New Orleans Revival : ).

It gets back to the problem of categorizing.  My own view is that "jazz"
developed along a continuum with Buddy Bolden at the beginning and guys such
as Woody Shaw, Coltrane and Wayne Shorter at the other end.

While I hesitate to group musicians into too many stylistic categories
(because of so much overlap), I have found it helpful to roughly divide the
"traditional" (OKOM) and "modern" (Parker and after).  This is not because I
think there's a great difference in the music styles (IMHO one style simply
developed on the foundation of the styles that came before), but because
such a large percentage of the traditional jazz audience just doesn't like
modern jazz.

Ironically, though I'm sure there are some modernists who find traditional
styles to be old hat, I haven't noticed the same intense dislike of
traditional jazz by the modern jazz musicians that I encounter.  In my
group, only one member had ever played New Orleans style before (they all
played straight-ahead modern jazz).  Now, they love playing with my group.
Recently, I had a sub piano player who normally plays funk and salsa
(complete with dreadlocks) play a show.  Afterward, he told me that he
hadn't had that much fun on a gig in a long time.  He was a heck of a player
too--he's now my first call sub.

Cheers!
Rob McCallum