[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Aug 14 09:51:22 PDT 2007

> I might agree re. "classic," certainly not - jazz.
> Cheers
_______________________________

I would be interested in knowing why you don't regard Brubeck as jazz and if
it isn't what is it?

Many solos for example are recorded and written out and become "the only way
it should be played".   I think the sax solos in "In the Mood".  after the
47 thousandth time it's played it certainly isn't jazz any longer but many
things start out that way.  Once a solo is recorded and published like "Take
Five" it does sort of lose it's pure jazz status but to argue that it isn't
jazz at all sort of stretches things a bit.

I guess it could be argued that if the musician is reading and not just
standing there with his eyes closed blowing that it isn't improvised
therefore it isn't jazz.  Personally I find playing written solos to be
tedious and not a lot of fun.

Some members of our local jazz club just can't accept groups that have any
paper in front of them as being jazz but I think that's a little extreme.
Larry
St. Louis