[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck's Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 14 11:12:41 PDT 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

> Dear Marek,
>
> Brubeck's music is certainly Jazz.  Whether it is "Classic Jazz," can be
> argued . . . But it is certainly "Classic."

Hear hear.

How fondly some of us remember the impact of Brubeck. A group of us at
University in the 1950s used to gather weekly to listen to his records. We'd
be sprawled out on someone's living room floor just enthralled at what we
were hearing. Gosh, whatever happened to those great days/nights when folks
gathered around the hi-fi set just to listen to music?

Jazz? My goodness, they had some really great Jazz players in that quartet.
Desomnd (so lyrical), Morello (fantastic) and Eugene Wright (solid rhythm)
along with Brubeck were all GREAT jazz musicians.

Brubeck's College Concerts were something else also. He and his wife started
them on their own, writing snail mail proposals around their kitchen table
to about 50 colleges in the USA where they thought there might be a market
for jazz concerts. After booking/playing about 9 on their own, Joe Glaser
(yep Louis Armstrong's manager) contacted them and took over the booking
chores. Glaser also booked Louis into this "new" market segment.

To damn few of us these days are proactive enough to do likewise. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone