[Dixielandjazz] Hugging & Chalking

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 7 21:46:39 PDT 2007

Charlie Hull wrote:
> Here's the entry in Who Wrote That Song, by Dick and Harriet Jacobs,
> 2nd Edition:
> "HUBBIN' AND CHALKIN' (1946) (wm) Clancy Hayes - Kermit Goell (I)
> Clancy Hayes. (P) Hoagy Carmichael. No. 1 Chart Record. (CR) Johnny
> Mercer."
> It's a little confusing, indicating Clancy and Kermit Goell did the
> words and music. I have no idea what the (I) and (P) entries mean. It
> seems Johnny Mercer (the last of the Great Rhyming Humorists) had the
> No. 1 recording of the tune.

Dear Charlie,
The 'symbols' used by Dick & Harriett Jacobs in Who Wrote That Song are:
(wm) Words and music by
(I ) Introduced by
(P) Popularised by
(CR) Cover record by
Popular hit recordings include:
Kay Kyser Nov 1946 for Columbia
Hoagy Carmichael Nov 1946 for Decca
Johnny Mercer Jan 1947 for Capitol
Herbie Fields Jan 1947 for Victor
[Dates indicate when the song actually 'entered' the hit charts.]
Clancy Hayes and Kermit Goell composed the song in 1944 and there are
known radio recordings of it in early 1945 (Hoagy) and Sept 1946 (Benny
Goodman).
Clancy Hayes recorded it with Bob Scobey's Frisco Band for Good Time
Jazz in Oct-Nov 1953
Kind regards,
Bill.