[Dixielandjazz] Hugging & Chalking

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Tue Aug 7 20:22:13 PDT 2007

Here's the entry in Who Wrote That Song, by Dick and Harriet Jacobs, 2nd
Edition:

"HUBBIN' AND CHALKIN' (1946) (wm) Clancy Hayes - Kermit Goell (I) Clancy
Hayes. (P) Hoagy Carmichael. No. 1 Chart Record. (CR) Johnny Mercer."

It's a little confusing, indicating Clancy and Kermit Goell did the
words and music. I have no idea what the (I) and (P) entries mean. It
seems Johnny Mercer (the last of the Great Rhyming Humorists) had the
No. 1 recording of the tune.

Whatever, it's a great novelty tune that probably offends some obese
persons or their defenders, but amuses everyone. A very "visual" song
with a little story. The kind most people love.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to do it on this Friday evening's gig.

Charlie Hull