[Dixielandjazz] Tony Parenti

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Mon Aug 6 09:11:24 PDT 2007

                Thanks to Steve and all the others who contributed
information on Tony Parenti. I was aware that, as Dave Richoux pointed
out  the Cajun heritage was French (Canadian) and I was surprised when
I read a suggestion he was Cajun. I have always regarded his  playing
on his recordings for Circle in the 1940's as representative of the
Italian school and I mentioned this in Exploring Early Jazz (p1950) and
referred to the vocal quality of the style. That appears partly  to
relate to the characteristic sounds of the vowels of the player, and
perhaps differing national mouth structures, hence the recognised
differences between French and Italian styles. List members can no
doubt list other players in the Electric recording era with Italian
language backgrounds. I must say I don't hear it in early recordings by
Cordilla and Rappolo but do in players like Fazola. ( BTW Cordilla was
a great tin whistle blower)
             Strangely my  first Boehm clarinet was a Rampone and I
still hear in it a very different tonal quality from my later Malerne
and Buffet instruments.

regards
  Dan Hardie
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html