[Dixielandjazz] High Society Solo Harmonized

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sat Aug 4 18:29:39 PDT 2007

Years ago Jim Maihak wrote out the much vaunted Picou clarinet solo in 2-part harmony for his "Tappers" band.     With his permission we used it in the Fulton Street band with me on lead and Al Smith in cornet.    Years later we used it with two clarinets.    Always at breakneck tempo and never really difficult.     Later I harmonized Eddie Miller's clarinet solos on the Crosby "South Rampart Street Parade" and "Wolverine Blues" records for two clarinets.    Works fine.    No problem.

Incidentally, one time Eddie Miller said to me, "I hated those clarinet solos of mine because I always had to play them over and over again, just like the records.    Bob Haggart had originally written them out for me."

Bob Newman