[Dixielandjazz] Electric guitar (was Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 56, Issue 2)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Aug 4 13:24:35 PDT 2007

I owned an early electric guitar.  The pickup was a steel bar that went
entirely around the strings and had a huge coil of wire around it (inside
the guitar)  it was an arch top.  It was the first one I didn't learn to
play.

One of the instrument dealers here sold his music store and goes around the
country in his huge mobile home/camper and hits the pawn shops in various
cities.  In this way he gets his travel and expenses written off his taxes.
He also owns an importing/exporting company.  He looks for high quality or
rare instruments.  He exports old Gibson's and Fenders to Japan where they
will pay enormous prices for vintage guitars.  I have been told that some
models can bring $50,000 or more and a Mark VI Selmer can bring huge prices
too as compared to here.  I suspect that he has a lot of this money stored
in off shore accounts.

A lot of the pawn shop owners don't know what they have.  He also watches
the newspapers and flea markets for vintage instruments.   He picks
instruments up for almost nothing.  I got my Selmer G10 clarinet from him
for $800 and I suspect he gave $50 or so for it.
Larry
St. Louis