[Dixielandjazz] High Society clarinet solo

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 11:27:17 PDT 2007

When I started my first youth band, "The Riverboat Rascals", in 1988, I phoned the archives in New Orleans and asked if they had a copy of Picou's solo...they sent me a copy of a hand-written sheet of music...it might be Picou's hand-writing...of the solo. All of the clarinet players and tuba players in all four of my youth bands could play it...evidently it ain't THAT hard! I never told them it might be hard, so they just learned it...and they could play it at blazing speed, too!
 In the last youth band I had, "The Barkin' Dawg", the tuba player,Priscilla Ornelas, plays it...and she just graduated from UOP in Stockton as a music major. Also, the tuba player in "The Alley Cats" jazz band just graduated a year ago from Berklee in Boston...ask me if I'm proud of those two girls! Go ahead!
:~)
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,