[Dixielandjazz] Pedal trombone

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 04:33:58 PDT 2007

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:33:38 -0400
From: Don Ingle <dingle at nomadinter.net>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Pedal trombone
To: Marty Nichols <marnichols at yahoo.com>

I also hit the 1111 club when I was in Chicago working after college at

Michigan State, 1953, sweating out the transfer period from Local 47
to10-208 and gigging was slim so I did a day gig for a while.
The band had an old family friend on it - Del Lincoln -- actually
Delbert Lincoln Aronson, who lived in  the same apartment building in
Chicago in the 30's when dad was with Weems and headquartered there.
Del used his middle name professionally because, unfortunately, his
surname was thought to be Jewish (in fact he was Swedish) and had a
rough time getting work because of the ugly anti-semite attitude of
 some
leaders in town. Del was a wonderful cornet player and a pleasure to
 hear.
The 1111 band at that time had a crazy drummer named Hey Hey Humphries
on drums. The old 1111 had these fake columns in art deco style of
 vinyl
cloth stuffed with cotton. Hey Hey has a bit where he would drum and
 hit
the columns and the cotton stuffing would fly out. He later had a
complete melt down and spent some down time in a state snake pit
downstate. Left to work in Colorado and never heard what happened to
 him.
Floyd Bean was a fie palyer - worked for awhile as did Dec Cenardo at
the old Jazz Ltd - first  lcoaton at State and grand inthe '50's. I
later worked with Doc with Pete Bielmann's band in L.A. inthe '60's
before going to Jazz Ltd where I put in a total of five years into
 stays.
It was still a time where good Chicago-style jazz was not hard to find.

Today, most of the good players are lucky to have a oonce a week gig,
and nt too many of them do. The times, they are a-changing -- but they
were sure something while they lasted, weren't they?
Don Ingle

  Don,
  Indeed!
  I played with Del Lincoln and remember him well. A very distinguished man. I also remember Hey-Hey Humphrey on drums at the 1111 club. Ha-ha! He would take out his teeth
  sometimes and when the band was in an all-out last choruses of a real "movin'" number, he would peel back his face and it appeared he was traveling 1000 mph while playing. Ha-ha.

  I heard from someone on line that Hey-Hey slept on the pool table at the Green Mill, I don't know.

  Yep! Those were the days when OKOM was very available.

Gerald "Marty" Nichols
  Hear My Music at:
  http://myspace.com/freemarty