[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet solo -- who was first?

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Thu Aug 2 19:15:05 PDT 2007

> Listening to the 2-CD set by Off The Record: The Complete 1923 (King
Oliver) 1923 Jazz
> Band Recordings, I was struck by the clarinet solo by Johnny Dodds to
close "High Society
> Rag".  I have been hearing that same clarinet solo on performance after
performance of
> "High Society" by different bands in the 60 years or so I've been
listening to this music,
> usually note-for-note the same as Dodds' performance in 1923.
>
> Question: Did Dodds originate this particular solo, or was it someone
else?

Alphonse Picou is the person that originated this solo for High Society
(notice no rag).
He was supposed to convert the piccolo solo from the march to the clarinet.
Back in those days the majority of clarinets were Albert system instruments
and the fingering for this solo was said to be difficult. If a player could
play the "Picou High Society" he had a good grasp of the instrument.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia