[Dixielandjazz] Pedal trombone

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Thu Aug 2 09:33:38 PDT 2007

I also hit the 1111 club when I was in Chicago working after college at
Michigan State, 1953, sweating out the transfer period from Local 47
to10-208 and gigging was slim so I did a day gig for a while.
The band had an old family friend on it - Del Lincoln -- actually
Delbert Lincoln Aronson, who lived in  the same apartment building in
Chicago in the 30's when dad was with Weems and headquartered there.
Del used his middle name professionally because, unfortunately, his
surname was thought to be Jewish (in fact he was Swedish) and had a
rough time getting work because of the ugly anti-semite attitude of some
leaders in town. Del was a wonderful cornet player and a pleasure to hear.
The 1111 band at that time had a crazy drummer named Hey Hey Humphries
on drums. The old 1111 had these fake columns in art deco style of vinyl
cloth stuffed with cotton. Hey Hey has a bit where he would drum and hit
the columns and the cotton stuffing would fly out. He later had a
complete melt down and spent some down time in a state snake pit
downstate. Left to work in Colorado and never heard what happened to him.
Floyd Bean was a fie palyer - worked for awhile as did Dec Cenardo at
the old Jazz Ltd - first  lcoaton at State and grand inthe '50's. I
later worked with Doc with Pete Bielmann's band in L.A. inthe '60's
before going to Jazz Ltd where I put in a total of five years into stays.
It was still a time where good Chicago-style jazz was not hard to find.
Today, most of the good players are lucky to have a oonce a week gig,
and nt too many of them do. The times, they are a-changing -- but they
were sure something while they lasted, weren't they?
Don Ingle