[Dixielandjazz] Pedal trombone

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 04:50:38 PDT 2007

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:06:29 -0500
From: Butch Thompson <butte1 at mac.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Pedal trombone
To: djml <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
  George Brunis was a master of playing with the foot, of course.  But
 that
was not his main claim to fame, of course. His notoriety, as he often
explained on mic, came from other things:
  "If you want my records, they're down at the courthouse."
  "You can find my picture at the post office."
  Something like that.
  Butch Thompson

  Butch,

  Would you perchance be speaking of Brunis's long run
  at the "1111 Club" on Bryn Mawr on Chicago's North Side?

  I lived in Chicago from 53-57 and often heard him there. I remember those quips along with "don't applaud, throw money!" and others. Georg also would lay flat on his back on the bandstand sometimes with the crook of his horn hanging over the side and play. The place was packed right through the week when he was in town. I subbed for a time at 1111 Club, along with Chuck Hedges-clnt. Others in the band were Nap Trottier-tpt, Doc Cenardo-dms andFloyd Bean-pno. There was no room on the stand for bass in that tiny club.

  Once while I was playing with Danny Alvin's band at the "Tom-Tom Club", Brunis was there having a birthday party.
  He came up to the stand at one point and took my trombone and played a few numbers. Doh! The memories! I have had better days! {Places head in hands}

Gerald "Marty" Nichols
  Hear My Music at:
  http://myspace.com/freemarty