[Dixielandjazz] Bix & "Nobody's Sweetheart"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 1 21:12:48 PDT 2007

Fr M J ((Mike)) Logsdon wrote:
> Second, that very track of "Nobody's Sweetheart" has haunted me for
> years.
> I'm for believing Bix was present,

Dear Mike (and Al),
Sorry fellas but discographal research has shown that  a very ill Bix
left Whiteman and returned to Davenport on 15 Sept 1929 for an extended
rest. He stayed at home until 13 Oct, so could not have been in New
York on 9 Sept 1929. Check out 'Bix' by Sudhalter & Evans [page 393].
Andy Secrest was the only man then (and IMO ever) to play convincingly
in Bix's style.
OK, like you Mike, I believe that I can pick Bix's tone and "Nobody's
Sweetheart" isn't it.
I've just re-listened to the side several times, and remain convinced
that it is Secrest.
For even more Bixian' Secrest listen to the bridge of Trumbauer's "Turn
On The Heat" from the next day (10 Oct 1929).
Kind regards,
Bill.