[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Bio Movies

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:36:49 PDT 2007

OK,
So neither Miller nor Goodman were all that nice.  So what?  A good
friend of mine was turned into a life-long jazz fan by Benny Goodman
Story which he saw as a kid in Morocco.  I saw it in 1957 in Tel Aviv,
and thought: "What a great country, they bring films like that.  And I
still love the double LP soundtrack album!
The Glenn Miller Story is more difficult - I can't take the schmaltz
(which is why I  have only one Glenn Miller LP), bup people love the
film (quite a few of my friends do), and if it has turned anybody int
a jazz or bib band fan - great!
I agree that the Handy one is the worst, as it shows Handy as a piano
player.  As a film, it probably os better than either the BG Story or
the Miller one (or the Krupa one); The Five Pennies (a Hollywood Red
Nicholls Story) also was rather good as a film, albeit quite
inaccurate (please note: I'm an Anglophile).
Cheers
SUPPORT LIVE JAZZ (I'm not a musician, so I have no personal interest
in perpetrating this slogan)