[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests :Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 52, Issue 62

Bob Bogen bobbogen at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:12:33 PDT 2007

TO: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com

Subject: Re: Musicians as Guests :Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 52, Issue 62

COPY OF TEXT SUBMITTED THIS AM WITHOUT THE SPECIFIC TOPIC SUBJECT LINE:
'Re: Musicians as Guests'

Text: Eating, drinking and socializing with clients; and demographics
Tom Wiggins reports: musicians told to "not associate with any guests whatsoever"
Bob Ringwald:  'eating or drinking with the clients guests is a big no-no.'

My favorite story on that you might not have heard came during my work for the New York Musicians Club from a personal client of mine, a world class fiddler and student of Jascha Heifitz:   Years ago Heifitz was being hired for a private party in Manhattan for a fee, I believe, of $50,000 when the hostess cautioned that it was expected that the musician not eat or socialize with the guests.  At that point Heifitz interrupted, that if this were eliminated from his services, the fee would be $25,000.

As for demographics, Thursday I had a rare opportunity to catch the Bearcats [arguably the best traditional band in the New York region] at the Blazer Pub, a road-house about 45 miles north of NYC near the Connecticut line.  For some of us the draw was Noel Kaletsky, for my money the best reed since Bechet, on clarinet, alto OR soprano. [After an extended effort I finally got Noel into NYC to play in one of the big concerts of the Sidney Bechet Society.]   I had recently gotten a CD of Noel [billed as Kalet] from George Buck, originally recorded by Buck in New Orleans, 1975, with Wild Bill Davison, Ed Garland,George Masso, David Paquette, and Bob Bequillard [who was still on the drums Thursday night at the Blazer!  Bob had a warm and clear recollection of that gig, over 30 years ago, including the running battle on each track between Wild Bill and Buck, whether Noel should play the soprano or clarinet. Guess who argued for which!].  The substantial parking lot was jammed and cars were parked up and down the road from the pub.  The crowd was a full mix of ages, though there was a good old group from the former Westchester-Fairfield Jazz Society.

Bob Katzenellen Bogen