[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 07:55:55 PDT 2007

Ha, I seem to have rung Bob's bell.

My point is very simple. The MAJORITY of my gigs are those at which we are
treated as GUESTS because they are for friends. Yes there are some that are
corporate or otherwise for strangers. But after one gig, most of them
becomes friends too.

I therefore expect myself and my band to be treated well. And as a result,
we are. It is really that simple.

Henry Ford is dead so I have not been invited back to his house. However I
have been, and am continually invited to homes of clients socially. That
includes Du Ponts et al, the rich and anonymous, and the politicians of the
Philadelphia/Wilmington area. That was the point which Bob missed.

Why? Simply because as a jazz musician, be it ever so humble a player, I am
perceived to be an artist and therefore a mild curiosity to such patrons of
the arts. And luckily, I can hold my own in a conversation with the high
society or political types.

We musicians are in charge of making our own world as far as how we are
treated is concerned. There are no hard fast social rules unless we box
ourselves in by coming up with our own. Expect more, get more.

Stuff like "don't drink with clients", or "don't socialize with guests" is
all hogwash as general rules. Each case is different and we should be smart
enough to adapt. Had don't drink with the customers applied when I was a kid
going to see Bechet, DeFranco, Scott, Parker, and all the rest, I never
would have been able to talk with them. Many venues EXPECT you to socialize
with customers. I make it a point to go from table to table in a club or
restaurant setting, between sets, thanking the customers for being there.

We are very proud of what we do. And we do it well so we are not hard up for
gigs (in fact we have too many) and have no fear when it comes to turning
some down because the clients treat us like hired help. (which they perceive
as lower forms of life)

I've spent 16 years building a local jazz band reputation. And a local
reputation as a jazz "artist" (as perceived by clients/friends).  And I know
how to schmooze with clients. The result is a rather high visibility among
the locals, be they swing dancers or high society types.

That means quite simply that we are treated well by those who employ us. And
as an employer, I treat my employees well, be they plumbers or musicians.

Isn't that the whole secret to a happy life?  Didn't some well known
philosopher state that about 2000 years ago? Ask Fra Mike if in doubt.

I suppose, philosophically, I might be a little different than the other
bands/band leaders on the list and frankly, viva la difference.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone