[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart Festival Schedule and artists

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Mon Apr 30 00:45:44 PDT 2007

This is in regards to Hal's recent posting on the upcoming festival in
Elkhart, Ind at the end of June.  His comments about not being
responsible for missing trombone players etc. is well founded.

Although all sets have a piano, bass, and drums this year, there is
still the problem with the missing trombone players, or worse yet a
major trombone player who is in the schedule for MANY sets but is not
yet listed as one of the invited artists. This is Bob Havens, who has
been there the last several years. Lets hope this is just an oversight.

Without Bob Havens being there, there would be even more tromboneless
sets again this year then the 5 I have spotted so far. Practically all
of the All Star sets in fact since Dan Barrett, and the Allred's are
currently being used sparingly on all but their own groups. Is this the
new trend or am I missing something here again. Last year there were
even more sets without trombones.

If this trend continues, listmate Stan Brager might want to reconsider
his choice of instrument. Well Stan, there is always those community
concert bands. They still use trombones I think?

Bottom line: I would suggest holding off reading the schedule on the
Elkhart site for awhile yet. It is obviously still in flux.

Mad Dawg