[Dixielandjazz] FW: free Booze

Jerry Brown jazzjerry at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 29 14:39:27 PDT 2007

All this talk about requests in contracts etc reminds
me that a few years ago I was friendly with the
manager of the only major theatre here in Norwich, now
sadly deceased (the manager not the theatre). He
booked all sort of performers for the theatre from
touring productions of straight plays and musicals and
individual acts. comedians, pop groups and even jazz
bands.

One late evening I was enjoying a drink with him in
his office when he showed me the contract of a popular
rock group which he was due to sign. There was a list
of 'extras' for the dressing room including booze,
particular foods, even particular brands of cigarettes
and several other things. He commented 'They have to
be ....ing joking' and crossed out all the clauses and
signed the contract and deletions. He said 'They asked
for a fee to perform in this theatre and that is what
they will be paid. If they want these other things
they should increase the fee and buy them themselves.
If you ever get in this business Jerry, never allow
'extras' in the contract. Pay a fair performance fee
and leave it at that. If they don't like it there are
other fish in the sea.' The pop group did the gig at
the straight fee a few months later and returned to
the theatre several times over the next couple of
years.

This particular manager had a reputation for
generosity in the bar AFTER the performance and I have
fond memories of walking home from the theatre as dawn
was breaking having spent a few hours in his excellent
company together with actors, comedians. singers
(opera to pop) and musicians of all genres.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.