[Dixielandjazz] FW: free Booze

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 12:30:07 PDT 2007

Yes Jim,  that is indeed what happens, and I have written a many of
those riders for some of them, and yes they also contain a lot of
unnecessary stuff when the egos get out of hand.   I have always tried
to keep the ones I wrote to be realistic and not overload them with
extravagance.   Some Major stars however get really out there and
demand it even if they don't need or use it, and it is not uncommon
that some of them do not even know what is in the rider because they do
not read or write it.   They are often written by the agents and
managers trying to impress each other and other egotistical acts about
what they are demanding and getting.

Now when an act does reach a status level of professionalism that
allows them to tour extensively via air, it is perfectly normal to ask
for BACKLINE equipment and Sound  since it is almost impossible to
carry around a full trap drum kit and organs and pianos from gig to gig.

I carry my Bass and Snare drums and horns for Saint Gabriel's, for the
strolling or marching style gigs but if we have concert stage shows I
request a full stage setup with Keyboards, Guitar amps, Bass amps and
drums, congas, timbales etc, depending upon the style of music and show
they want us to present.

I tell them that snacks cool water, and a case of Beer and a bottle of
Wine are appreciated if easily available for festival dates, if we are
in a hotel near the venue and food is readily available we don't ask
for the snacks and stuff.   If we are going to be out over the normal
dinner hour we usually ask for a hot meal to be provided after the
performance, since the horn players don't like to perform on a full
stomach usually.   Fortunately the circuit of festivals that we have
been invited to perform in provide all of the above to us without our
even asking, so it is not necessary to even send a rider to most of
them.  It is indeed very nice to be treated respectfully and taken care
of by Professional organizers who learned a long time ago that happy
musicians ( not Drunk ones)  make for great shows and will usually go
all out to put on a dynamic show.   As was confirmed by all the guys
who went to Israel with me last summer.

There of course is nothing at all wrong with any band being shown
hospitality by any venue, some have enough class to do it and some
don't, but we are wise to not expect it every time, some of them just
have not been educated about it yet, and others are just cheapskates
with no class.   I try to avoid working for folks like  that as their
events are generally not spectacular either.

Cheers,

Tom  Wiggins