[Dixielandjazz] Free beer in Bude -- Not In USA

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Apr 28 12:02:14 PDT 2007

Jim Kashishian writes:

 > No free beer?
>
> Off to one of our local clubs for a 3 nite gig.  Bartender spots me coming
> through the door and starts the expresso machine steaming.  By the time
> I've
> got my horn on the stage I've got a good, strong cup of coffee plus my
> liquid support for during the set (a tonic water).  No charge.
>
> Actually, no charge ever for drinks at the clubs, and if your
> wife/girlfriend is with you, it's a seat & free drinks for her, too.
>
> At concerts, we stipulate, along with our request for sound equipment:
> food
> (snacks & fruit), plus beverages to be placed in our dressing rooms. That
> is
> usually a catered situation, and is very plentiful.
(snip)

Not in the US.  Or at least seldom.  With there being so many chain
operations with bookkeepers looking over the bartender's shoulder and with
the very strict liquor laws and tax laws, it free liquor seldom happens
here.

Sodas, coffee, etc yes but not liquor.

A bar in the states, at least in California, can get in a whole lot of
trouble, giving away liquor.  They must note each drink that is comped and
pay tax on it.  The bookkeeper types don't go for that.

Plus if you get free drinks and go out and get in a car accident, the guy
you hit can sue, and probably will, not only you, but the bar that served
you.

The same thing goes for a customer who is paying for his drinks.

With the advent of very stiff penalties and jail time for drunk driving
offenses, it has really hurt the bar trade.

As the old saying goes, "Things just aint what they used to be..."

Of course private parties are a different thing.  The host usually invites
the band to eat and drink.  I usually find out during the negotiations if
the band will be fed or have access to the bar.  That way the ground rules
are set ahead of time.

Every gig is different.  I try to cover all basis ahead of time.

Nothing worse than eating before a gig and then getting there and finding
out that the band is invited to eat.  Or, getting there hungry and not being
invited to eat.

 --Bob Ringwald