[Dixielandjazz] The state of OKOM in the UK

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 28 08:46:56 PDT 2007

Brian,
I have clucked-clucked about the loss of audiences for this music as well  as
listened to others do so for years.  But I've think I've only ever heard
three insightful things ever said about THE FIX and you have just said two of
the three, which by the way, I've not heard anyone else say.  (Maybe I just
wasn't listening.)
1.  Young fans want to be among other young fans.  They will  tolerate a few
of us and even think a few old people in the audience is cool as  that
validates their choice as smart.  But they will not support venues  where we are in
the majority.
2.   Dance floors!  I have a thirty-four year old daughter  who learned from
dad to check deck plans of cruise ships before booking  one.  What is the
first and most important thing to her?  The  location, size, and ambiance of dance
floor.
3.   (Assorted other elders like Steve and Tom do speak  regularly to this
one.)  Accepting and being part of the fact that the  music will morph.  I
wonder how many of us who would like to be gigging  more ever even sneak into the
swinging nightspots for the young and do some  research.  Ask them what is so
groovy (sorry for dated vocabulary LOL)  about the group they have come out to
hear.  Spent some time integrating  the results of the research and creating
how to be musically fresh with the  beloved old?

I'm not in the business of wanting to build young audiences.  But I  sure
hope some on this list and elsewhere are.  And I hope they get the  benefit of
your, Tom's, Steve's wisdom.
Ginny
P.S.  And power to bands such as Allen Beechey's Bright Stars of  Jazz.
>_http://www.brightstarsofjazz.co.uk/_ (http://www.brightstarsofjazz.co.uk/) <
Personally, I have regrets that they choose to brag about being  banjo-less.
But I can live with it since there are some other  young-oriented groups
still proud to get it that banjo adds something that  side-cymbals don't. ROLF

In a message dated 4/28/2007 4:09:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
brian at radiojazz.co.uk writes:

One band  - Allan Beachey's Bright Stars of Jazz - is young - looks young and
has its  own following some of which follow the band from gig to gig.
The band is  Condon-styled with leader Beechey bring a Wild Bill enthusiast.
The problem  for the band appears to be that when their fans arrive at a club
gig they  see that a majority of the audience are white-haired and are  put
off.
Aggravating the problem perhaps is the fact that Beechey's fans  like to
dance but in most UK clubs these days no space is given over to  dancing
because a majority of audiences are "past it".
If we had more  younger OKOM bands with their own following - as is happening
in the UK  with young rock bands - there would be a future for the music.
But it will  never lie with the white haired brigade - either musos or fans -
and I'm  one of 'em.
Why when we are young do we rush to leave home?
To get away  from the old folks and do our own thing.
Expecting young fans to go to  geriatric gigs is unrealistic.
Brian Harvey