[Dixielandjazz] The state of OKOM in the UK

brian at radiojazz.co.uk brian at radiojazz.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 01:57:56 PDT 2007

One band - Allan Beachey's Bright Stars of Jazz - is young - looks young and
has its own following some of which follow the band from gig to gig.
The band is Condon-styled with leader Beechey bring a Wild Bill enthusiast.
The problem for the band appears to be that when their fans arrive at a club
gig they see that a majority of the audience are white-haired and are put
off.
Aggravating the problem perhaps is the fact that Beechey's fans like to
dance but in most UK clubs these days no space is given over to dancing
because a majority of audiences are "past it".
If we had more younger OKOM bands with their own following - as is happening
in the UK with young rock bands - there would be a future for the music.
But it will never lie with the white haired brigade - either musos or fans -
and I'm one of 'em.
Why when we are young do we rush to leave home?
To get away from the old folks and do our own thing.
Expecting young fans to go to geriatric gigs is unrealistic.
Brian Harvey

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
13:39