[Dixielandjazz] The state of Jazz in the UK (and USA)

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 21:34:08 PDT 2007

on 4/27/07 5:30 PM, Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis at
larrys.bands at charter.net wrote:

>> Steve -- We can talk about being entertainers vs. good musicians, about
>> uniforms, and all sorts of trivia. But the fact remains that if we do not
>> talk about the AUDIENCE, or lack thereof, the other stuff is really
>> meaningless.
>
> LW --I thought that was what we were talking about - what the audience
> expects.  I didn't start the styles or the expectations but ignoring them is
> sure gigacide.

I respectfully disagree. My experience is that the audience wants good
music, presented in a relevant manner. I've posted numerous times that my
band does not wear uniforms that limit the audience. i.e. straw hats, arms
garters, etc. (limiting sartorial appeal to old folks) We dress for the MASS
AUDIENCE. By ignoring the stereotypical "Dixieland" look, we have in fact,
multiplied both our gig count and our monetary earnings. What do we supply?
Music that is relevant to the young audience. That is all any band need do
to reach the masses.

> Larry:
> There is available here what one would think is the perfect venue.  A large
> college campus within very easy walking distance of a 2300 seat auditorium.
> My only problem is they want $4000 during the week and $6000 on a weekend to
> book the place.  I simply don't have that kind of cash to risk on anything.
> Even the big guys in town don't try it even with a more sure R&R program.
> There is a great smaller Venue located one block away with reasonable
> seating (500) and it costs about $1100 a night.  It's still within one block
> of the College.  I played a review, which by the way was excellent, a couple
> of weeks ago and the promoter lost his ass on it.  Even at $20 a head there
> weren't enough paying people to cover the hall and the band even though it
> was a charity event and most of the band members and all the singers donated
> their time.
>
> Well if you can't enough sell tickets to break even on events in that area
> I'm not about to try.  So the other alternative is to book parties or other
> events as a band.  The standard approach which is not really building an
> audience.
>
> I would love to be able to do all the things you and others would like to
> see done but I don't have those "nerves of steel".

Again, I disagree. A good band need not risk anything in order to reach the
audience. Look to play at different venues than concert halls. Start a
little smaller with street fairs, park concerts, restaurants, etc. Very
doable. Heck, you have seen my "how we did it" information. If a hack like
me can do it, anyone can.

>> Steve --And by putting OKOM into an old folks niche, we are dooming it to a
>> constant decline.
>
> Larry - Unfortunately that's true but if it weren't for the old people there
> would be no OKOM as we know it.  I can say exactly the same about swing
> bands.  Their audience is aging out too.

Sure there would be OKOM without the old folks. I play it to young audiences
all summer long. Tonight (Sat) we're playing a swing dance for 350 people.
Some older, but MOST under 35. Some are teens who bring their parents as
chaperones. Next week we play the senior class reception on the lawn of the
President of the University of Pennsylvania. Mardi Gras theme. 2000 COLLEGE
KIDS will be there on campus with us.

Last month we played at a local High School and a local Grammar School. On
the 4th of July we play before 5000 people on the Wilmington Riverfront. At
least 50% kids under 20. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Point being that the only bands who find their audience aging are those who
court old audiences and have no idea of how to play for, and/or interact
with with young audiences.

> LW: If the Trad and Swing bands turned down work from everyone over 50 that
> tried to book them there would be no trad or swing bands in this town.

Naturally we play for old folks too and only turn down gigs offered by
people we don't like, or those that ask us to dress up in uniforms we don't
like. But by the same token, we have created a viable market for our music
with audiences of all ages. We have re-invented ourselves to appeal to the
youth market.

> LW: St. Louis is a tough music city no matter what you play.

Maybe so, maybe not. When I started my band in Philadelphia 16 or so years
ago, people told me exactly the same thing. Philly's a tough town for
Dixieland, the kids hate it, only old folks like it etc., etc., etc. But we
did not listen to the nay sayers. We created a viable local market for our
music with audiences of all ages and now  we find ourselves trying to
de-market by raising the price in order to cut back on the number of gigs we
do at our advanced ages.

It is tough for anyone still working to find employment opportunities when
they are our ages. Music is no different from any other job in that respect.
Yet my band of old folks seems to find employment.

Like you say, the music market gets tougher every year, everywhere. That
doesn't mean that you or I have to suffer. Let the other guys, who do not
treat music as a business, suffer.

> LW Life's a Bi**h, then you die.

Yes, or as T. Monk said in answer to the question; "What is the purpose of
life? . . . "To die."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone