[Dixielandjazz] The state of Jazz in the UK (and USA)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Apr 27 14:30:50 PDT 2007

Steve -- We can talk about being entertainers vs. good musicians, about
uniforms, and
all sorts of trivia. But the fact remains that if we do not talk about the
AUDIENCE, or lack thereof, the other stuff is really meaningless.

LW --I thought that was what we were talking about - what the audience
expects.  I didn't start the styles or the expectations but ignoring them is
sure gigacide.

There is available here what one would think is the perfect venue.  A large
college campus within very easy walking distance of a 2300 seat auditorium.
My only problem is they want $4000 during the week and $6000 on a weekend to
book the place.  I simply don't have that kind of cash to risk on anything.
Even the big guys in town don't try it even with a more sure R&R program.
There is a great smaller Venue located one block away with reasonable
seating (500) and it costs about $1100 a night.  It's still within one block
of the College.  I played a review, which by the way was excellent, a couple
of weeks ago and the promoter lost his ass on it.  Even at $20 a head there
weren't enough paying people to cover the hall and the band even though it
was a charity event and most of the band members and all the singers donated
their time.

Well if you can't enough sell tickets to break even on events in that area
I'm not about to try.  So the other alternative is to book parties or other
events as a band.  The standard approach which is not really building an
audience.

I would love to be able to do all the things you and others would like to
see done but I don't have those "nerves of steel".

Steve --And by putting OKOM into an old folks niche, we are dooming it to a
constant decline.

LW - Unfortunately that's true but if it weren't for the old people there
would be no OKOM as we know it.  I can say exactly the same about swing
bands.  Their audience is aging out too.

If the Trad and Swing bands turned down work from everyone over 50 that
tried to book them there would be no trad or swing bands in this town.

St. Louis is a tough music city no matter what you play.

Life's a Bi**h, then you die.
Larry
St. Louis